Like routine dental care, most people understand the value of routine automotive service and maintenance. However, in the course of the busy life of a typical American, setting aside precious time to perform routine tasks is often avoided in deference to more urgent matters
Inasmuch as oral hygiene has a cumulative effect on the health of a human, ignoring the routine care of an automobile can have similar negative consequences on the “well-being” and longevity of the car.
An Overview of Regular Maintenance Practices:
- Hoses should be inspected regularly, especially during cold and hot seasons, and replaced if there is potential for leakage.
- In hot weather, flush dirt, bugs and leaves from front of radiator gently with a brush and garden hose.
- Run your air conditioner monthly, year-around, to keep the compressor in proper running order and lubricate the seals.
- Use the “fresh air” setting of your heater instead of “recirculate” to reduce fogging of your windows, during the winter months.
- Replace your windshield wipers once a year.
- Lubricate door hinges/latches and hood hinges periodically.